What is CPR? Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation.
What is an AED? An automated external defibrillator (AED) is a portable electronic device that automatically diagnoses the life-threatening cardiac arrhythmias in a patient, and is able to treat them through defibrillation, the application of electrical therapy which stops the arrhythmia, allowing the heart to reestablish an effective rhythm.
FROM THE AMERICAN HEART ASSOCIATION:
What is the minimum age to learn CPR?
The AHA does not mandate a minimum age requirement for learning CPR. The ability to perform CPR is based more on body strength than age. Studies have shown that children as young as nine years old can learn and retain CPR skills.
Are your courses OSHA compliant?
Our Heartsaver Courses are for anyone with limited or no medical training who needs a course completion card for job, regulatory or other requirements. While these courses are designed to meet OSHA requirements, OSHA does not review or approve any courses for compliance. Through the AHA/OSHA Alliance, we work with OSHA to raise awareness about workplace safety and health to prevent injuries, illnesses, and fatalities in the workplace.
Which CPR course should a “first responder” or “professional rescuer” take?
First responders or professional rescuers generally include fire, police and emergency medical personnel. These types of prehospital professionals usually need to complete a BLS course.
Which course should a daycare provider take?
The AHA’s Heartsaver Pediatric First Aid CPR AED Course is designed to meet regulatory requirements for child care workers in all 50 United States. The AHA offers this course in both classroom-based and eLearning formats.
Can I take an AHA CPR course online?
The AHA offers a variety of eLearning courses through OnlineAHA.org and our Distributors. For CPR and first aid courses, an eLearning course must be followed by a skills practice and testing session with an AHA Instructor within 60 days of completion and has an additional cost.
Do the AHA’s BLS courses include first aid?
No, first aid is not included in the AHA’s BLS courses. The AHA offers a variety of courses that will prepare you to respond to a first aid emergency, including
• Heartsaver First Aid – classroom-based
• Heartsaver First Aid Online Part 1 – to be followed by a skills session with an AHA Instructor
• Heartsaver First Aid CPR AED – classroom-based
• Heartsaver First Aid CPR AED Online Part 1 – to be followed by a skills session with an AHA Instructor
• Heartsaver Pediatric First Aid CPR AED – classroom-based
• Heartsaver Pediatric First Aid CPR AED Online Part 1 – to be followed by a skills session with an AHA Instructor
For the purposes of AHA’s CPR and first aid training, what age constitutes an infant, child and adult?
In CPR and first aid training,
• An infant is someone who is younger than one year
• A child is someone who is older than one year and has not reached puberty
• An adult is anyone who has gone through or is going through puberty